Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I finally understand Curling!

Hello again. This time around I thought we could talk about Curling, which up until a few days ago I found as exciting as sitting on a cactus. Now for anyone who doesn't know Curling is a team sport in which stones are slid across a sheet of carefully prepared ice towards a target are where two teams of four players take turns sliding the heavy polished granite stones across the ice towards the house (a circular target marked on the ice). The purpose is to complete each end (delivery of eight or ten stones for each team) with the team's stones closer to the center of the house than the other team's stones. Two sweepers with brooms or brushes accompany each stone and use stopwatches and their best judgment, along with direction from their teammates, to help direct the stones to their resting place, but without touching the stones.
Now I know it doesn't sound like an exciting time but once I started watching the USA men's team this last week I found that I couldn't stop. This is a sport that requires extreme concentration and quite a good deal of athleticism. these athletes have to slide these stones with accuracy and direction to knock the opponents stones out of the way so that they can get points. Watching the sweepers use their brooms to direct and control the speed of the stones is fun as well.
As far as the Olympics go both the US men and women have at this point been eliminated with both teams finishing 2-7. Nonetheless we should applaud all these athletes for representing our country and giving their all. I am pretty sure that this is a sport that I will follow a little closer from now on.
I am still compiling for the baseball preview blog. I feel this will be a fun and exciting blog that all will enjoy. I'll be back in a couple days with more but until next time.
Stu.

No comments:

Post a Comment